Bitcoin Review Podcast BR021 - Bitcoin Power Dynamics Panel ft. Harry Sudock, Aaron van Wirdum & Adam Gibson
I’m joined by guests Harry Sudock, Aaron van Wirdum and Adam Gibson to discuss the power dynamics in Bitcoin.
- 00:02:41 The Mexican stand off conceptualisation of the power dynamics within Bitcoin
- 00:04:19 Are developers part of the game theory?
- 00:21:57 The power dynamics involved in changing Bitcoin
- 00:33:39 The role of prediction markets in determining consensus
- 00:43:01 Can Bitcoin development be corrupted?
- 00:46:26 Corruption factors invovled in chain forks
- 00:53:39 Bitcoin’s resistance to change
- 00:57:12 Bitcoin vs gold and considerations surrounding resistance to human interference
- 01:03:19 Perspectives on changing Bitcoin
- 01:04:41 Controversial changes (Tapscript)
- 01:07:16 What properties of Bitcoin are changeable?
- 01:15:18 How do you defin the “true” Bitcoin?
- 01:23:53 Forking as means of achieving market consensus
- 01:27:14 Politcs and getting buy-in for controversial changes
- 01:32:40 Why change Bitcoin?
- 01:34:55 Historic examples of contentious changes
- 01:38:11 Contextualising developer influence on Bitcoin
- 01:41:05 Contentious non-consensus changes (RBF)
- 01:45:12 Game theory involved in conflicts between users and miners
- 01:55:53 Mitigating against short term incentives with long term risks
- 01:59:39 Bitcoin: There is no alternative
- 02:01:55 Off-chain considerations
Episode submission ideas
- We’re looking for ideas for interesting panel conversations. To send Bitcoin related questions, just go to bitcoin.review and follow the contact links at the bottom of the page.
Get in touch with the pod
- Podcast Twitter
- NVK Twitter
- Nostr & LN ⚡firstname.lastname@example.org (not an email!)
Did I get anything wrong above? Help me correct it email@example.com